If you would like to send a question to (name of the person who did the video) please fill in the form:





Frequently Asked Questions

1. What type of Hospitality & Catering courses do you offer?
There are a number of vocational Hospitality and Catering courses available at Swindon College, each designed to prepare you for your chosen career in the food service industry. Check out our website or prospectus for more details.

2. What different course levels are available to study?
The courses are Technical certificates at Levels 2 and 3.

3. What grades and qualifications do I need to enrol?
A Level 2 course requires four GCSEs at grade 2 or above including English and Maths or equivalent. For level 3 courses you need to be age 17 or above, hold a Level 2 in Professional Cookery, or GCSE English and Maths at grade 4 or above, and have industry experience.

4. How long do the courses take to complete?
The courses take either one or two years to complete. A Fast Track in a Food and Beverage course will take just one year.

5. What kind of work that will I be doing?
Cookery students will learn a wide range of skills in the training kitchen together with our fully qualified chef/lecturers, preparing dishes from a variety of units such as poultry, fish and vegetables.  You will also work in our production kitchen servicing our in house training restaurant creating seasonal menu dishes for real service to paying customers.
Food and Beverage students will be also be based in the in house Training Restaurant and Barista Coffee Shop working alongside the chefs learning the craft of customer service, barista operation, communication skills, food service, bar, handling payments and working within a busy, team environment. There will also be focus on Health and Safety and Food Hygiene regulations for hospitality.

6. What about work experience?
We have close contacts within local business creating plenty of opportunity for students to undertake work experience.
7. What kind of careers will be open to me once qualified?
Once qualified, Cookery students could end up as a Junior Chef, Chef de Partie, Sous Chef, Pastry Chef or Head Chef, depending on their qualifications, skills and experience. Food and Beverage students can enter a variety of roles, working towards Supervisor or Management level, including Event Management, Restaurant or Coffee Shop, Wedding Planning, Management training courses in Retail or Customer Service roles. Or you may wish to join the Concord Management Scheme.

8. Why should I choose Swindon College for Hospitality & Catering?
Choosing Swindon College means you get to train in our professional kitchens and restaurant, with highly qualified staff who have years of commercial experience. We will also support you in entering competitions, showcasing your culinary skills, as well as visiting trade relevant premises. Support in work experience as part of the course could lead to a valuable job in industry to compliment your time at college.

Return to all course areas here